Welcome to Mitchell County for Me, featuring information about Mitchell County, North Carolina, including vital statistics, geographical data, history, culture, and heritage. It is a collaborative collection of stories, anecdotes, statistics, and other information and media that tell the tale of the county born on the eve of the Civil War.
Updates to the Site (posted July 27, 2014)
- Our online photo archive is now active and has been updated with new People and Spruce Pine photos.
New to Mitchell County for Me?
You might want to start your tour of the site with author Rhonda Gunter’s The Birth of a County Named Mitchell, which features an excellent introduction to the start of Mitchell County.
We welcome anyone who would like to contribute to this site. Please contact us through our Contributor’s Submission page to be included in the project.
Mitchell County for Me is your one stop to find data and interesting stories about Mitchell County.
We have established categories to organize information
- About the County features statistics, geographical data, census figures, and general information about Mitchell County.
- History provides information on the history of Mitchell County from the earliest discussions of county formation in the 1840s through today.
- Communities contains information on the communities of Mitchell County. From Altapass to Wing, we’ve got you covered!
- Economics gives an overview of the business and industry that has shaped Mitchell County’s past and present
- Heritage explores the special events, causes, organizations, and eras that help define the Mitchell County way of life.
- People introduces you to the characters and influential individuals from Mitchell County.
- Icons tells unique stories about Mitchell County’s people, places, and events that are of special interest.
- Photo Archives gives visitors access to a collection of historical photos of Mitchell County. This collection is increasing all the time, so check back often for the latest images to be added in various categories.
- Media links you to audio and video stories and performances related to Mitchell County.
Thank you for stopping by. We hope you enjoy your visit and find something of interest while you’re here.